Wine 101: How to Get Rid of a Wine Stain
Picture this: You’re sitting on your couch watching the latest episode of the Bachelorette, red wine in hand. As you go to grab the remote to turn up the volume a few notches while the drama heats up, your wine slips out of your hand and spills all over your pristine white carpet. What should be a romantic reality TV viewing night has suddenly become a horror movie, in your very own living room.
Normally this would be the right time to panic, maybe even roll up the carpet and dispose of the crime scene all together. However, there’s no need to jump to extremes as we have pulled together the best tips and tricks the internet has to offer to help you with this problem.
Tips and tricks:
- Grab the salt! The proven best way to get rid of a wine stain on carpet or furniture is to soak up all that liquid with some good old salt. Read more about this method in Vine Pair’s article, “Five Tricks to Remove a Red Wine Stain.”
- Do not scrub! While this might be your first instinct, this will only make the stain worse and harder to get out. Blot as much of it out as you can and then move to the salt method or another suggested solution.
- If you are a true wine lover, like us, you might want to have oxi clean powder on hand in case of emergencies. This powder should help pull the stain up quickly and effectively and is available to order in bulk on Amazon.
- You can also use La Crema’s concoction which is made up of household solutions you most likely have on hand. Mix together 3 parts hydrogen peroxide and 1 part dishwashing liquid. They suggest you leave this on for about 20 minutes, blot, and voila!
- For quick DIY solutions, Today.com, recommends using baking soda, clubs soda, or vinegar. Check out their super helpful tips for using these products to get the best results possible!
While we know you'd never want to spill a drop of our premium canned wine, next time a glass tips over or you knock a can off the coffee table, there’s no need to whine about it. There are plenty of household items at your disposal to help you in a pinch or cleaning supplies you can purchase to have on hand. So go ahead and crank up the volume for the dramatic parts you don’t want to miss!